Throughout life, It is evident that you need a voice, a word, or someone who has gone ahead of you to where you want to go to lead the way or to show you the way. Such people may have either been there or have passed through such places in time past. Different routes may lead to where you are going, but there is a way that is right for you. Every route is dynamic and will yield unique outcomes. There is a designed pathway to your next level that is best known to the One who made you and is able to lead you through the path to where you need to be.
Who is your Shepherd?
The twenty-third chapter of the book of Psalms says; “The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. You will agree with me that this confession of David is from his years of experience of being a sheep in the hand of the shepherd. He tells us what to expect from the shepherd as a sheep. The Lord shepherds His own sheep, not another man’s flock. He takes full responsibility for his own flock, only His own. Are you a sheep? Do you belong to the good shepherd? Have you made a decision for the Shepherd? If you are yet to make a decision for Jesus, I encourage you to do so, you need Him to be close to you now. The Lord is eagerly waiting for you to draw near to Him and have an experience of Him as the good Shepherd.
The Attributes of the Good Shepherd
- The Good Shepherd is committed to your total well-being both spirit, soul, emotions, feelings, health(mental and physical), finances, and intellects.
- He is understanding of you, He puts you in a class of your own never comparing you with another, He never drives you like He does someone else, He leads you to where you need to go with respect to your strength and weaknesses.
- He never fails His own, He will never leave you lonely or forsaken.
- Irrespective of the troubles going on everywhere, He is always close by to protect you from harms and evil of any form. The shepherd keeps the sheep safe.
- The Good Shepherd knows His sheep by name, He longs to develop a unique relationship with you that is not like anybody else.
- Every instruction and decision is strategic for the benefit of the sheep and He keeps the sheep from wandering away. The Shepherd works for the good of the sheep.
- Ultimately, the good Shepherd wants to see His authority established on the sheep.
- He disciplines His own to keep them in the path.
Who is the Sheep?
The relationship between a child of God and God is exemplified in that which exists between the sheep and the shepherd. The sheep is anyone who is surrendered to Jesus as Lord and Master. It describes our followership, as a sheep follows the shepherd. The character of the sheep according to John 10 vs 1-5 includes;
- The sheep knows the shepherd.
- The sheep will not follow a stranger.
- The sheep won’t follow the voice of a stranger.
- The sheep know the voice of the shepherd.
- The sheep trusts the shepherd from past experience together with him.
Friend, it is important to make a choice to become like a sheep in how you follow the LORD this year and beyond. It is interesting that the Shepherd did not at any point ask the sheep to follow each other. Listening to hear the voice of the Lord has become so crucial to every child of God in our world today. If you will escape the wickedness of the wicked going on right now or make the right decisions in life, it is because you know the Lord, and those who do know their God shall be strong and do exploits irrespective of the times. The truth is you and I need a deeper knowledge of God which will come as you faithfully study, meditate, and pray God’s word. Investing time in fellowship with the Holy Spirit, letting Him do His work in you daily. May the Lord continue to shepherd you in Jesus’ Name.